Blue Bell Inn Bed and Breakfast is a Heritage Listed property established in 1829 in Historic Sorell. We offer 6 beautifully appointed rooms, 3 featuring king beds with private en-suites. TVs, fridges, quality lines and organic toiletries are available in all the rooms. We also have 2 family rooms, 1 with disabled access. Continental breakfast with a fruit platter and gluten free or lactose free choices is included. Guests have all day access to the dining room for coffee and tea and for food from the many take away shops close by. Free WiFi is available throughout the building.
Located in a quiet street Sorell, just a 20 minute drive from Hobart and the delightful Salamanca markets, 20 minutes from Bellerive oval & 30 minutes to Mona. Listed on the convict trail we are on the gateway to Port Arthur and the scenic east coast. Richmond and the Coal Valley wineries are 11 km from Blue Bell Inn. Hobart International Airport is 7 km away. Free private parking is available on site.
This is a very significant building in Sorell because of its various uses over its long history relating to the development of the town and for its location at the centre of the major civic area of the early township of Sorell. The building also has a ballroom perfect for intimate weddings or corporate functions.
Sorell is one of Tasmania’s oldest towns and consequently, the area has a rich history. The Sorell district was first explored by Lieutenant Governor Collins, who named the shallow stretch of water between Sorell and Midway Point, Pitt Water after the then Chancellor of the Exchequer, William Pitt. The name Pittwater was given to the whole district until 1821 when the settlement was named after Lieutenant Governor William Sorell.
Whilst Sorell was first settled around 1808, it remained an isolated farming community until 1821 when the Town of Sorell was established. Sorell soon established itself to be the granary that fed the fledgling colony.
During the early years of Sorell, residents relied on ferries to cross Pitt Water; otherwise they had to travel to Hobart via Richmond. In 1854 Sir William Denison began negotiations to construct a causeway. The causeways took eight years to complete, with the first vehicles making the crossing in 1872.
The original building was of wooden construction, consisting of 17 rooms including a ballroom, and was licensed to William Guard. Unfortunately in 1863 the building was destroyed by fire. The present stone building was then constructed and was used as an emergency hospital during World War 1.